Sunday, December 15, 2013

retrain my brain

When you get to the point of all that first step is accepting you have a problem stuff, well then what's step 2? I have found that I repeat that first step over and over and yep over again. And when you are trying to fix your problem on your own, (without professional help) how do you figure out what the next steps of healing are? I have talked to others, did research, learn about it in classes I take in school, read books, but I have no idea how to fix myself. If you were to ask me a question about recovery I would be able to give you some good educated answere on the 'correct' way to eat, think, and move on from a life of abuse. But damn it if it's another one of those situations of easier said than done.
Specifically how do you retrain the brain?
For years and years now I have been able to eat what/whenever I want and not only not gain, but loose weight. So eating carbs, cakes, candy, and all the stuff that is oh so good, was automatically connected with no insulin, and weight loss. Well now that I am always trying to restart this healthy life, I see it as only 2 ways....
1. Eat super healthy. Lots of fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean proteins, nice moderate exercise. This is the way to be healthy. And when I live like this taking my insulin and maintaining my diabetes is easy. But sticking to this way is not always so easy for me.
2. Have that treat you want sometimes, lets say cookies. But for all these years the cookie food is connected with no insulin, high blood sugar, and weight loss.
I look at these foods that will fall into option 2 as bad food. Bad food=no insulin=killing myself=fail....again. This happens so much. Always being told, bad, fail. I can't seperate these thougths from these foods. I don't know why. I can't accept that I can have these treats in moderation, take my shots, and learn to be like every other person out there. Moderation?? I haven't had to practice that well in a long long time.
All these thoughts in your head  all the time remind you that you're crazy. What they hoot is wrong with me?If people only saw inside my mind, and could hear these ideas that I come up with, they would think, know, I am crazy.
Well this week I was talking to a dear friend of mine that has suffered with the same problems I do. Diabetes, eating disorder, and she has been in recovery for a long time. And wouldn't you know she was very familiar with this exact thought process. She too had at one time, only had these 2 options for food choices. She faught them, and overtime she won. They went away. And she now enjoys her treats.....in moderation. She enjoys them, and she should!!
I wasn't alone. When you have these horrible inner demons tormenting you, you can't imagine that other people think like you do. But they do. Everyone has some kind of inner demon. To know that you're not alone, and others have beat this shit, is the best feeling.

No comments: